Thursday, January 26, 2017

CONNECTING WITH BOOK REVIEWERS


After reading my memoir, several book reviewers have commented that they experienced similar events in their own lives as military brats. It feels comforting that I am the only or one of the few brats who experienced alcoholism in the family (in my case my mother, and later my younger sister), physical abuse, and feelings of aloneness while relocating so many times to different states and countries. Making new friends at each new location, getting used to new schools and climates was interesting but also demanding. Often I changed locations every year, mostly every two years, though. I also attended three third grades and found each school challenging. Because of these childhood challenges, I decided never to enter the service, myself, or ever marry a serviceman. I didn't wish any future children I may have to experience the same instabilities which I did.





 

From left, myself, my sister Marilyn and our neighbor, Michael, who lived across the street from us. I was nine, my sister, five,  and Michael was 10 at the time, in Heidelberg, Germany, in front of our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment